Have you seen “10 Things I Hate about You”? It’s an almost 21-year-old movie that starred Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Larisa Oleynik. Its plot wasn’t unique, as it was a modern retelling of a Shakespearean classic, “The Taming of the Shrew”. Don’t worry, though. This post will not delve into the details of the movie. No; this isn’t a movie review (I’ll probably save the reviews for later posts).
I just had to touch that movie because the list that Stiles’ character read out loud as a poem towards the end of the movie paved the way for her to reveal her true feelings for Ledger’s character. And, as you would have guessed, it sealed the deal for them, with them reconciling with a kiss. My point? Lists are important, people!
Having said that, I have decided to come up with a list of 10 things I either hate or love about myself as my initial post in my re-entry to the blogging world. You’re probably squinting right now and wondering if you’re reading it right. Yes, you are. Don’t worry. I really did say 10 things I hate or love about me.
10 Things I Hate or Love about Myself
Writing a lengthy “About Me” piece, I personally think, is cliched. Besides, in my opinion, a page or post about me is like giving myself a high-five – I can do without the self-adulation, because what else will I write about in such a post, right? I would probably bore my readers to death with stuff about me that somewhat borders into “I love me” territory. That doesn’t mean, though, that I shied away from having an “About Me” section on the blog. I have one, one that I think isn’t too self-absorbed.
Nah, I’d much rather use a list to give you all a sneak peek into my so-called life. Just 10 things that will help you understand me and my posts going forward. This list is in random order, so here goes nothing:
- I love that it is effortless to make me smile. It doesn’t take a grand gesture to light up my face with gladness (yes, that’s a line from a song I am listening to right now, “Smile” by Nat King Cole). Even the simplest things can put a smile on my face as long as I know the one who is trying to do is sincere.
- I hate that I always have a hard time saying “no” to people, friends and family most especially. I could have my plate full and overflowing, but if a friend or family member needs my help in any way, I could never seem to say no. But hey, that’s not a bad thing, right? As long as I don’t get taken advantage of (I think).
- I love that I love what I do for a living. You see, I was in first grade when I realized that I wanted to be a writer. And while I have yet to get started with my very first story (one of my dreams is to write a novel), I do write on a daily basis. It’s only web content for my clients, but it’s still writing, so that’s all good.
- I hate that I have been grieving for the past one and a half years (almost) now. However, that’s a post for another time. I don’t think I am in the right frame of mind to get into that right now.
- I love that I got back to blogging. During the years that I was on hiatus due to work demands, I missed it sorely. I am just so happy that I woke up one day all amped up to get started with it again. So, here I am.
- I hate that at my age (Of course I will not divulge the actual figure here! You will need to pry the info off me! LOL), I feel that I still have much to [try to] accomplish.
- I love that my parents brought me and my siblings up in a God-fearing environment and have given us a wonderful spiritual heritage that no amount of material wealth can top.
- I hate that I can be overly sensitive most of the time. I mean sensitive in the sense that a touching commercial can make me tear up in one second flat. Being too sensitive can be annoying sometimes, which is why I somewhat hate it.
- I love that despite the hurdle of 2018, my family is still intact and closer than ever.
- I hate that [my] life has never been the same since November 2018.
So there you have it; 10 things I love and hate about me. At least you now have a point of reference you can go over when reading my future posts.